Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Trip to Kerala: Day 11 (5th June)

Kathakali Dance Performance

Sunset En route My Way Home 
 I will quote myself and say that Malyali weddings are weird. It's true that the ceremony is different but the lackadaisical attitude of people is a sight to marvel at. People are done with lunch, some are midway through their meal; and all this before the bridal couple enter the hall for the reception. I used to think that Bengali weddings were bad, now I know that they've got competition. Of course it does go without saying that I have utmost respect for both Malyalis and Bengalis and in no way do I wish to hurt their feelings with regard to their beliefs and customs.
  The Jewish Synagogue was the only place I was yet to visit. My mom tells me I had been to the place when I was one year old, so naturally I remembered nothing about my visit. The synagogue was at the heart of Jew Town, which was walking distance from the palace which I had visited the previous day. The place I didn't expect to see was the Pepper Exchange. I'd heard about it on TV as the world's only pepper exchange but I didn't think I'd get to see it.
 I was well aware that no visit to 'God's Own Country' would be complete without the traditional Kathakali and Kalaripayatu performances. Enchanting, they were enchanting to say the least. Loud,vibrant live music accompanied by energetic steps left us all in awe.
  Slowly and surely dawned the last night of my vacation. I was homeward bound, almost. I learnt a lot of things that would help me in future. History, culture and traditions of a place I'd only read about before. The next day would be spent doing nothing but travelling home.



"A holiday well spent and hopefully one of many more to come."

1 comment:

  1. Dear readers,
    remember read it from Day 1 to Day 11 and not backwards
    Thank you,
    Mario B-)

    ReplyDelete