Saturday, October 15, 2011

It All Begins...

Fanshawe College Logo
CFRL Radio Logo













It was always going to be a nervous day. Strangely though, I felt sleepy all morning. It was quite unnatural I felt, ten hours of sleep seemed less. I guess it was nervousness talking loud. The minutes ticked on slowly. Time almost froze. Outside the weather was lousy and wet. Oh, what I’d do to get a nice bright sunny day. The clouds outside echoed my nervousness as I lay in bed trying to focus on something.

Time ticked on; yes she did not wait for anyone. Second after second, minute after minute, hour after hour. And then it was time. It was time for a newscast: my first ever. A live newscast, this is what I signed on for. Yet, there were butterflies in my stomach and they wouldn’t go away! However much I tried, the butterflies would just not go away! Flabbergasted, I gave up and headed to Fanshawe College.

I tried to be my cool, calm self. That sure helped a lot.  It always does, and there was no bigger proof that this feeling that ran through me, an unexplainable feeling. I felt joy, nervousness, anxiety and impatience all at once. And yes, my legs were soft like jelly. The newscast was prepared slowly and surely. It had to be good. Thousands of people would be listening to it in the halls of the college and online. Oh, those majestic hallways where I’ve walked everyday for the last two months. I could mess up, I’d be embarrassed.

And then the assurance arrived. Nervousness was common I was told. I won’t mention the saviour here, he knows who he is and if he’s reading this he’ll have a smile on his face for sure. “Even we make mistakes, even we stumble on air. It’s natural. Don’t let it bother you.” And with these words, the butterflies vanished, the nervousness and anxiety took off and a smile was restored to my erstwhile fallen face.

Five minutes to four, it was almost time to go on. I wondered how many of my friends would be listening to me. Not many, I secretly hoped. A chuckle sprung on my face as I entered the news booth. Coolly and calmly up went the thumbs up to the radio announcer.  Ten seconds said he. And as he counted me down, I cleared my throat and turned on the microphone.  “CFRL News........”

No comments:

Post a Comment