Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Fans' Fan...


In United He Believes....
Derby day defeats are hard to digest. A derby day mauling is even harder to digest. Such was the scenario at Old Trafford today. Manchester City were rampant, Manchester United were shell shocked. Mario Balotelli was the centre of attraction just hours after setting his house on fire. “Why Always Me?” his t-shirt read; comic relief on an otherwise gloomy Sunday to United fans like me.

Needless to say, I expected the 1-6 jokes to start moments after the game. And start they did. Slowly they came in, one by one, some were funny and some were ridiculously poor attempts at mocking United. ‘Jokes’ apart, it was a day when one would be able to filter between Man U and United fans.

While City spent the rest of the day celebrating, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea fans joined the banter as well. Joke after joke, taunt after taunt. Chelsea fans would be reminded that though they played the most amazing 45 minutes of football I have seen, with nine men, at Loftus Road, they were beaten by a QPR side who won their first game at home this season. Cue the cliché, “Chris Foy is a retard.” These were the same set of fans who laughed when Ferguson has similar reservations about Mr. Foy’s skill on numerous occasions. Arsenal fans on the other hand needn’t be reminded about their own problems so I will not dwell on that for much longer. I will also mention here that this is no way a cheap shot intended at other fans. Respect is everything in the game, and it was great to see other fans console me after the game, while the general lot just fired away!

78,487 watched from inside Old Trafford. By the time the final whistle sounded, there were just a loud bunch of City supporters in their end and a sparse number of United faithful, who fought on to stay till the end. “Manchester is Blue” was heard around the stadium and I’m sure that was the chant on the streets as well. Call me biased, I don’t really care, but it was one of those days. Nothing went United’s way and City capitalized, just as any title ‘aspiring’ side would.

What left me shocked was the number of people who left as early as the 70th minute. True United were three goals down, but you don't desert the team like that. It was strange, nay bizarre coming from United 'faithful'. It touched me to see a fan sitting in his seat long after others had left. It warmed my heart to see him, gloomy as it was, sharing his disappointment with Old Trafford; sharing his disappointment with fans who would bleed for the club every single day. I know what I'm wearing to college tomorrow. Its red with AON in front and it bears the logo I grew up to love on the left. I end, humbly like that man pictured above, with a gloomy face, an optimistic thought and a never ending belief in United. Now and forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment