Saturday, April 7, 2012

Ten Things That Canada Taught Me

Canada Flag
It’s the final issue of the Interrobang for this school year, and honestly, it’s gone by so fast. It seems like yesterday was the first day of class and it’s already the end of a fruitful year. While I’ve been writing about all these different Canadian things that catch my eye, I've often been asked "what has Canada has taught you?"
She’s taught me a lot, all in such a short time, and I list just a few below in no particular order:

10. Hockey is life: I’d be livid with myself if hockey wasn’t on this list. I grew up watching the very limited hockey that ESPN would broadcast back in India. I fell in love with the Anaheim Ducks and NHL 2002 back in the day, but to actually live in the country where it’s considered a pastime in the winter has been unreal, in a word. Cue the celly...

9. Poutine is heavenly: French fries with cheese and gravy: Poutine. Poo-teen for those still wondering how it's pronounced. I still remember the first one I had, back at Oasis, the school cafeteria if I may, back in October 2011. I’ve been hooked on the stuff ever since. Now, it’s been brought to my attention that too much poutine isn’t the best thing ever, mainly because it’s so fattening and unhealthy, but let’s be frank here, it’s delicious. And because it is delicious, I’m going to make the exception every so often. Mmm, gravy...

8. 12°C is warm weather: Back in Calcutta, India, our winters would touch 12°C. Sometimes, if we got lucky, it would drop to 9°C or so. It used to be freezing cold back then. The other day when my dad called and I told him 12°C was warm, he gasped. Now that I've lived here for seven months, I now know that is 
12°C warm weather. Why even the other day when it was 3°C, I told myself it's warm, so I guess old man winter has yet to show me what he can do. Perhaps a trip to Winnipeg or Alberta might change all that, but until then, "To the beach..."

7. The Toronto Maple Leafs are really awful: Sorry, Leafs fans, but you know I had to. I knew you guys never made the playoffs since the lockout; I never knew it’s been such a long, unfruitful run. It’s tough on you guys, I can empathize, but this is something that I came across only after coming to the Great White North. And I love it. The odds of laughing at James Reimer, or the Phil Kessel trade, or the fact that the team is just god awful. Buck up, lads, you’ll be playoff-bound soon. Or not.

6. The Arkells are brilliant: The Arkells are an amazing band. And they’re Canadian. I’d never heard about them, and now they fill up my iPod. I’d say coming to Canada has really opened my eyes to a lot of great music that you would never ever hear of if you stayed in India. I’m disappointed with myself for not going to the Arkells show in London a few months back, but I plan to see them if and when they return to London. Until then, my iPod has to work overtime.

5. Without Tim Hortons, this country would be static: You really didn't think I’d forget Tim Hortons, did you? Without Tim Hortons, there is no Canada (if you permit me to exaggerate just a little bit). It’s true, though; Timmies are in every part of the country I’ve seen. After all, who doesn't like to grab a hot coffee and a donut, and oh need I mention 'Rrroll up the Rim'? 1 in 6 odds? I laugh at that Tim Hortons. Still, I'm hooked. And now, to grab myself a large double-double and roll up the rim...

4. Nickelback is not everyone’s cup of tea: Honestly, this one surprised me to a degree. I grew up listening to Nickelback, and when I came to Canada, I discover that they are despised in some parts of the country. I haven’t been able to decipher the reason so far, but rest assured I will try to put this mystery behind me. I set Rockstar as my alarm tone because it is so annoying. Everyone knows that, "Coz we all just wanna be big rock stars..."

3. Shovelling snow is a better workout than you’d get at GoodLife: For starters, I’ve never ever hit a gym in my life, so don’t count on me being an expert. What I can tell you is that shovelling snow is not fun. Every morning, in those sub-zero conditions, you go out and burn those calories. I did it for the first time ever this winter and it wasn’t pleasant. And you know what the best part is? You get to do it all over again the next day.

2. Bilingualism is in: This is one thing that’s impressed me so far. I’ve never been to Quebec, but I hear it’s a lot more French biased. Ignoring that fact, everything I’ve seen is bilingual. I see it as promoting cultural diversity, which I believe is a great thing. French-Canadian or English- Canadian is still Canadian, and that is the main thing. Merci.

1. ‘Eh’: Hilarious as this may seem, this is a word I’ve observed numerous people use, whether on the bus or in the halls of Fanshawe. The word seems to be a conjunction finding its way into many sentences, although I’ve seen it as a standalone word numerous times.Where did I first hear it eh? Only everywhere, and by everywhere I mean everywhere. And you know what the funniest bit is right now? I use it myself. Funny how that works, eh?

It’s been a great year in Canada and at Fanshawe. I’ve made so many friends and met new people. I love this country, to tell you frankly: the culture, the food, the people. It’s definitely one of the best decisions I’ve made in life. The country has grown on me and I can’t wait to be back next year.


Until then, Canaduh 1, 'Murica 0 


Originally Written for the Interrobang: http://www.fsu.ca/interrobang_article.asp?storyID=8423&sectionID=2&issueID=203
Image Credit: http://mobi-wall.brothersoft.com/files/640480/c/12814388987247.jpg
Video Credit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOm-15621bs

No comments:

Post a Comment